Honour Roll



Mallavey, Patrick

Constable, 2885

At about 9.30 p.m. on the 7th June 1880, Constable Mallavey commenced wharf patrol duty along the Yarra Bank at Melbourne. It was a dark wet night and at about 10.30 p.m. some sailors heard a cry from the water. A search was commenced, and at 10.50 p.m. it was discovered that Mallavey was missing. His body was located floating in the river early the next morning, and it was later deduced that Mallavey had tripped in a hole in the wharf planking and fallen into the water.



Porter, James

Sergeant First Class, 1885

At about 7 p.m. on 22nd February 1881, Sergeant Porter fell down a flight of stone steps at the Richmond Depot, and was fatally injured. He died at the Police Hospital at Wellington Parade at 10.05 p.m., 23rd February, 1881.



Barrett, Patrick

Constable 2773

On the 15th June 1882, Barrett was rostered on "early relief" from 5 a.m. to 9 a.m. During the morning he went to serve a summons and to reach the address he had to cross the rail line at Balmain Street. Prior to crossing he had waited for the 8.10 a.m. train from Melbourne to Windsor to pass, after which he walked onto the rails and into the path of the 8.10 a.m. train from Windsor to Melbourne, which caught him and carried his body along the line for some distance, cutting the head off and smashing it into fragments.



Fawssett, Leonard

Sergeant First Class, 410

At about 11 a.m. on the 4th May 1880, Fawssett was a passenger on a stagecoach which was making a sharp turn from Nolan Street across the embankment onto the Swan Hill Road, at Kerang. At this time some harness broke and the coach turned on its side. Fawssett who had been riding on the box with the driver, broke his leg. It later became necessary to perform an amputation, and although this operation was successful gangrene set in, and he died on 12th June, 1880 at Kerang.



Ryan, Thomas

Constable, 1093

On the night of Wednesday, 6th January 1886, Constable Ryan escorted his niece to her house in White Hills and then announced his intention of checking the local Chinese camp. He was never seen or heard of again. Numerous theories were put forward to account for his disappearance, but none could be substantiated. There was speculation that he had been the victim of foul play, murdered by Chinese thieves whose activities he had been investigating, or conversely, that he had met with an accident and fallen down a flooded mine shaft or into a creek. However, despite a massive search his disappearance remains a total mystery, and at this time it is unlikely that it will ever be solved.



Clarke, William Thomas

Constable 3203

On an unknown date in 1887, Constable Clarke arrested a man for being drunk in Humffray Street, Ballarat. He was conveying the prisoner to the Ballarat East lock-up when the man viciously assaulted him, kicking him in the groin and the back. One of the kicks ruptured the Constable’s liver. Clark complained of great pain at the time, and sought medical treatment. From that date his health deteriorated, and although he sought help from “nearly all the doctors in Ballarat”, there was nothing they could do for him. For the three weeks before his death he was confined to his bed. He died on the 27th of November 1887. He was buried in the New Street cemetery with full police honours.

Despite extensive inquiries no further details of his death are known. There is no record of an Inquest having been held. However, a file located at the Public Record Office contains a letter from Chief Commissioner Chomley, in which Chomley states that “there seems no doubt in my mind that the Constable’s death was the result of injuries received in the execution of his duty”.



Courtney, Daniel James

Constable, 3982

At 9 p.m. on the 15th October 1888, Courtney commenced night shift beat patrol at Kensington, and was last seen alive at 11.45 p.m. at the Flemington Police Station when he telephoned the Carlton Police Station with an enquiry. At 5 a.m. the next morning a signal man found him lying dead on the railway track at Kensington Railway Station. His watch had stopped at 1.53 a.m., which was apparently the time of his death. A later inquest found he had been accidentally killed when struck by a passing train.